There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who blog and those who don’t. Blogging has become very popular and common nowadays that people will get shocked if you tell them you do not have a blog of your own.
So if you do not have a blog yet, go ahead and do it. If you already have a blog, then there is a good chance that your blog is not yet popular as much you want it to be, so continue reading…
Today, we are going to have a look at the tips and strategies for promoting your blog through YouTube Video Marketing. There are many methods to promote a blog such as social media, guest posts, email marketing but video marketing is now a big piece of the puzzle and you cannot afford to ignore it.
Step 1: Create a YouTube Channel for Your Blog
You may have a YouTube channel already, but is it exclusive for your blog? If not, create one. Make the channel name as close as possible to your domain name. For example, Mine is YouTube.com/VideoMarketingNET
Step 2: Optimize Your YouTube Channel
A YouTube channel fresh out of the box doesn’t look good or function well. You need to tweak some things in your channel as soon as it is created. You should be doing the following before uploading your first video:
- Edit the Channel Title
- Put a description for the Channel
- Add Your Blog’s Link to the Channel Sidebar
- Add two more links such as your blog’s popular articles page and RSS Feed links.
- Upload a custom background for your channel or at least have a unique colour which matches your blog’s theme.
- Add relevant tags.
For a quick video on all these changes visit my blog post: How to Optimize Your YouTube channel for Search.
Step 3: Take a Popular Post from Your Blog and Make a Video
Some blog topics such as health, electronics review, fitness and cooking need a lot of demonstration and it is easy to create video content for such topics. However if your blog is about self development, financial advice or something along that line then it would be pretty difficult to come up with video content ideas.
You may want to do a talking head video of your non-demonstrable content but not everyone (including me) feel comfortable doing talking head videos. Anyway, don’t try to if it doesn’t come naturally to you because talking head videos have been proven to be boring for the internet user.
Now you may wonder, so what kind of videos can I create? Introducing: INFOMOVIES. Infomovies are presentation style video with animated words and pictures along with a optional background music and voice over. You can create info-movies with Apple Keynote or MS Power Point. I have detailed tutorials on this blog on how to do the same.
For a quick example, here is an infomovie that I created for my blog. This was from a post which was already popular on my blog.
You can see that there are no cameras involved and it has got a good number of likes and views which proves that these type of videos are effective.
Step 4: Upload Your Video to Your YouTube Channel
Now that you video has been created, you can upload it to your channel with the appropriate title. Your video’s file name should be relevant. Example: video-marketing-tips.mp4
Make sure to include a link to your blog in the description along with http:// so that it is clickable. Give a good reason for YouTube viewers to click on the link and go to your blog. At the end of this blog post, you will find some more ideas for siphoning more visitors from your video to your blog.
Step 5: Promote Your Video
Your video will not become mega popular or ever hit 1000 views unless you promote it in some way. Here are some ideas for promoting your video. These ideas will give the initial push that your video needs after which the video will get views on its own. You need some comments, likes and audience engagement before the snowball effect kicks in.
Ideas for promoting your video:
- Promote it through YouTube ads if you have a budget for it.
- Embed the video in your blog. Readers will find it useful and it also gives you a back link to your YouTube video.
- Send an email to your subscribers if you have an email list. (You Should!)
- Share it on social media: Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Google+
- Ask fellow bloggers to share it on the blog and social media. People will be open to embedding YouTube videos than link to your blog post.
- Distribute the same video to other video sharing / hosting sites such as dailymotion.com and vimeo.com.
Some More Video Marketing Ideas
The above 5 steps are the core of the strategy for promoting your blog through YouTube. Here are some more ideas which will enhance it. You need not use all of them and you are free to come up with your own ideas and add some twists to it.
- Create a 2 part video. Upload part 1 to YouTube and upload part 2 on your blog’s page. Humans like completion in things and a large percentage of visitors who watched part 1 will visit your blog post.
- Promote your part 1 video or most important video of your channel using the latest InVideo Programming feature on YouTube.
- Continuing from the above idea: Ask users to subscribe to your blog once they visit your part 2 page. Offer them various subscription options such as email, RSS, social media. Even if you do not follow the part 1 – part 2 strategy, have a good landing page for the visitors from YouTube. Convert those visitors to subscribers.
- A small twist to the 2 Part video idea: Ask visitors to share their name and email address if they want to see part 2 of the video. You will convert a large number of these visitors to subscribers.
- Have a call to action overlay on your YouTube video. You can do this via AdWords. Here’s a detailed post on how to do it: Add clickable links inside your YouTube videos.
Hope you found this post useful. Share it! Leave a comment if you have any questions.